Two die of brain-eating infection from Louisiana tap water


Steam Punk brain eater robot by CatherinetteRings

Last week, Louisiana’s Department of Health and Hospitals issued a warning to residents: Don’t use tap water to rinse your nasal passages.

The warning came after a 51-year-old woman in the state died after she was infected with the “brain-eating” amoeba Naegleria fowleri, which enters the body through the nose and sometimes causes devastating meningitis. Apparently, the amoeba lurked in tap water the woman used in her neti pot, a pitcher-like device used to rinse nasal passages.

“Tap water is safe for drinking, but not for irrigating your nose,” Louisiana’s state epidemiologist, Dr. Raoult Ratard, said in a statement. He urged those who want to rinse their sinuses to use distilled, sterile or previously boiled water, and to rinse their neti pot (or other irrigation device) after each use and allow it to air dry.

If you’re anything like me and have always used tap water to rinse your sinuses, the warning is a bit scary. Naegleria fowleri infection is very rare — only 32 people in the U.S. were affected between 2000 and 2010, the Louisiana warning noted — but it’s also very deadly, causing the destruction of brain tissue and usually death within a couple of weeks…

Naegleria “is generally harmless when ingested by mouth, so [the Louisianans] got it because it was pushed directly into the area behind the nose close to the brain,” Dr. Otto Yang said of the woman and a 20-year-old man who apparently died the same way in June. Yang said he believed that these to be the first reported cases of transmission through tap water.

Like the Louisiana health officials, Yang said it’s probably “best to use distilled or boiled water to play it safe,” when rinsing the sinuses…

Or live somewhere with cleaner water. When I lived in New Orleans we were assured safety because we were drinking Mississippi River water with enough chlorine in it to turn your bathtub green for a century.

Of course, that amount of chlorine may have been as dangerous as the critters it was killing.

About these ads

One comment

  1. Pingback: Two die of brain-eating infection from Louisiana tap water « Motley News

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s