Blackpool junkie dies from heroin infected with anthrax
A drug user has died after being infected with anthrax, health experts said…The Health Protection Agency said that a person who injected drugs died in hospital in Blackpool.
The news comes after a spate of cases in Europe since early June. The HPA said the source of the infection is presumed to be contaminated heroin.
The HPA said it is “unclear” whether the case in Blackpool and another case in Scotland – which was confirmed at the end of July – are linked to the European outbreak…
Dr Dilys Morgan…said: “Anthrax can be cured with antibiotics, if treatment is started early. It is therefore important for medical professionals to know the signs and symptoms to look for, so that there are no delays in providing the necessary treatment.”
Since June there have been seven confirmed cases of the infection – one in Scotland, three in Germany, two in Denmark, and one in France.
These are the first cases of anthrax among drug users in Europe since the outbreak during 2009 and 2010. That outbreak saw 119 cases in Scotland, five cases in England and two cases in Germany.
Although the two outbreaks have not officially been linked, European health experts say that the recent cases could have come from the same batch of contaminated heroin in the 2009 to 2010 outbreak.
Phew! I don’t have a lot of sympathy for junkies. I’ve known a sufficient number of them in my lifetime.
But, catching something as nasty as anthrax from smack – proves there can be something worse than being an addict.