A Swedish woman’s recent toiling in her garden turned up a rather unexpected harvest when she pulled a carrot out of the ground ‘wearing’ the wedding ring she had lost back in 1995.
After 16 years, Lena and Ola Påhlsson, who reside near Mora, Dalarna, in central Sweden, had given up hope of ever finding Lena’s lost wedding ring. The ring, which Lena had designed herself, went missing after she had put it on the kitchen counter in midst of a holiday baking session back in 1995.
But as Lena was about to gather the last of the carrots from the family vegetable patch…she pulled out a carrot that had something attached to it. As the carrot was so small, she was about to throw it away when she realized what it was that appeared to be “growing” around the finger-sized vegetable.
Ilene and Arnold Bangerter
He hit the mother lode, but not once did Josh Ferrin even think of laying claim on the more than $45,000 cash that he found in his garage. In fact, he gave it all back. “You can’t make plans for money like this that’s found in a situation like this,” Ferrin said. “It just doesn’t feel right to do anything but give it back.”
Within an hour of closing on his first home, Josh Ferrin, an artist for the Deseret News, used the keys to take his first official look inside.
While taking it all in, he noticed a tiny scrap of carpet peeking out of a small door in the ceiling of a workshop at the back of the garage. He got a ladder and climbed up to explore the unseen space. It was dark and musty, but Ferrin could see a black metal box sitting there.
It was a heavy metal box — the kind used to haul ammunition during World War II — and it was filled with cash, old stamps, bond certificates and other random memorabilia.
“I immediately closed it, locked it in my truck and called my wife. ‘You won’t believe what I just found,’” he said. Tara Ferrin immediately knew the couple had to return the money to its rightful owners.
However, Arnold Bangerter, the former homeowner, passed away in November 2010 and his youngest son, Dennis Bangerter, the executor of Bangerter’s estate, had just signed the 1950s red-brick rambler away…
“Going through those boxes, I felt like I had a peek into his life,” Josh Ferrin said about the man who left the surprising find. “This is a beautiful outcome and it feels good to be a part of it. It’s a rare opportunity to be able to do something extraordinarily honest.”
Arnold Bangerter, an fisheries biologist for the former Utah Department of Fish and Game, had purchased the home in 1966 and lived there with his wife, who died in 2005…
The money is being divided among Mr. Bengerter’s six children. From honest folks in Bountiful, Utah.
Police in Maryland arrested a man after finding his cell phone charging at the scene of a burglary. Now Montgomery County police say 25-year-old Cody Wilkins has been charged in other burglaries.
It began when a homeowner’s son arrived as a burglar was going through rooms in the home Friday. Startled, the burglar jumped out a window and fled.
The son called police, who searched the home and found a cell phone charging in an electric socket. The phone led police to Wilkins.
Police say Wilkins’ home was among those in the area that lost power last week when a snowstorm moved through. Arrest records say he’s been linked to other break-ins.
Wilkins was brought to a Montgomery County jail on $1 million bond.
Dummy. Come to think of it. that’s why no one’s written a book on Burglary for Dummies. Anyone heading into a life of petty crime probably doesn’t read.
The quiet neighborhood in Milton where the body was found
The teenager found dead on a Milton, Massachusetts, street last week is the 16-year-old who disappeared from his father’s house in North Carolina, authorities confirmed last night.
Police matched the fingerprint taken from the body, which was found Monday night, with samples taken from a personal item that belonged to Delvonte Tisdale, whose father reported him missing just hours before his body was found…No details were released about how Tisdale got to Boston or how he died…
The case has puzzled authorities since Monday night, when the body was found on Brierbrook Street, a secluded area of the town.
There was no identification on the body, except for what looked like a school lunch pass with what appeared to be Tisdale’s name on it.
Anthony Tisdale reported his son missing Monday at 5:48 p.m., according to a police report from the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department. The body in Milton was found at about 9:30 that night…The body had been found with broken bones and evidence of massive trauma, especially to the head. A preliminary autopsy did not specify a cause of death.
A 2nd opinion
Officials are looking into the possibility the teenager was hiding in the wheel well of an airplane bound for Boston when he fell to the ground…
Federal Aviation Administration officials said Tuesday jets headed for Boston’s Logan International Airport from the south drop their landing gear when they are over Milton.
And there was a flight from North Carolina the night the teen was reported missing, the Herald reported.
If this, in fact, was how this kid died, it’s a testament to the ignorance of urban legends. People believe this is a safe way to steal a free ride when 99% of the time it ends in death. Either you are crushed when the wheels come up after take-off or you freeze to death traveling at altitude in an unheated compartment – or you drop out of the sky when the wheels come down.
If you look very carefully, you can make it out…. It’s
right above the Virgin Mary’s left eyebrow.
A team of evangelical Christian explorers claim they’ve found the remains of Noah’s ark beneath snow and volcanic debris on Turkey’s Mount Ararat.
But some archaeologists and historians are taking the latest claim that Noah’s ark has been found about as seriously as they have past ones—which is to say not very.
“I don’t know of any expedition that ever went looking for the ark and didn’t find it,” said Paul Zimansky, an archaeologist specializing in the Middle East at Stony Brook University in New York State.
Turkish and Chinese explorers from a group called Noah’s Ark Ministries International made the latest discovery claim Monday in Hong Kong, where the group is based.
“It’s not 100 percent that it is Noah’s ark, but we think it is 99.9 percent that this is it,” [said] Yeung Wing-cheung, a filmmaker accompanying the explorers.
Blasphemer Professor Paul Zimansky
A Bangladeshi taxi driver in New York City has gone out of his way to track down the person who left thousands of dollars in cash in the back of his cab.
Mukul Asadujjaman, a medical student, drove nearly 80km to an address he found with the money.
He left his phone number when he found no-one at home. The money belonged to an Italian grandmother visiting the US…
Felicia Lettieri, of Pompeii, Italy, and six relatives had taken two cabs on Christmas Eve, Newsday newspaper reported.
Mrs Lettieri, 72, left her handbag behind, with more than $21,000 of the group’s travelling money, jewellery worth thousands more, and some of their passports.
Her sister, Francesca Lettieri, 79, of Long Island, said the honest driver had saved her family’s vacation…
He also turned down a reward, saying he could not accept it as a devout Muslim, Newsday reported.
“I’m needy, but I’m not greedy,” he said. “It’s better to be honest.”
Right on! A tale worth re-telling.
“I can’t remember which key Karl told me to press to hide all this crap!”
Computer technicians have recovered about 22 million Bush administration e-mails that the Bush White House had said were missing, two watchdog groups that sued over the documents announced Monday.
The e-mails date from 2003 to 2005, and had been “mislabeled and effectively lost,” according to the National Security Archive, a research group based at George Washington University. But Melanie Sloan, executive director of the liberal-leaning Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, said it could be years before most of the e-mails are made public…
The e-mail controversy dates back to the Bush administration’s 2006 firing of the top federal prosecutors in nine cities. After congressional committees demanded the administration produce documents related to the firings, the White House said millions of e-mails might have been lost from its servers. Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington and the National Security Archive sued over the issue in 2007, arguing the Bush administration violated federal laws that require presidential records to be preserved.
Court records have shown that the Bush administration knew about the e-mail problems as far back as 2005 and did nothing to fix them, Sloan said.
Monday’s settlement allows for 94 days of e-mail traffic, scattered between January 2003 to April 2005, to be restored from backup tapes. Of those 94 days, 40 were picked by statistical sample; another 21 days were suggested by the White House; and the groups that filed suit picked 33 that seemed “historically significant,” from the months before the invasion of Iraq to the period when the firings of U.S. attorneys were being planned.
Also requested were several days surrounding the announcement that a criminal investigation was under way into the disclosure of then-CIA agent Valerie Plame Wilson’s identity. That investigation led to the conviction of White House aide I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby on charges of perjury, obstruction of justice and lying to federal agents investigating the leak.
Given a few civil libertarian geeks in the White House, we may yet learn even more about the corruption and cronyism that was part and parcel of the Bush-Cheney Administration. We know who the capos were. It would be useful to track who collaborated with their various deceits on the federal and state level.
I’m confident New Mexico’s senator-for-life, Pete Domenici – a hack whose core constituency was the Pentagon and the Oil Patch Boys – was one of the cogs in the machine.
Back with his mom
Daylife/AP Photo used by permission
A 3-year-old boy who was taken at gunpoint from his California home nearly two weeks ago has been found.
Briant Rodriguez was found wandering the streets of Mexicali, Mexico, by a police officer late Thursday, said San Bernardino County Sheriff Rod Hoops. After clearing paperwork with Mexican officials, California authorities reunited the boy with his mother in the border town of Calexico, Hoops said.
“We’re very happy that he’s alive,” Hoops said. “A 3-year-old goes missing in this country for two weeks — sometimes it has an unhappy ending. This one did not.”
The boy had been missing since May 3, when two men armed with handguns burst into his family’s home and tied him up — along with his mother and four siblings.
The men ransacked the home before leaving with Briant, a small amount of cash and some personal property, San Bernardino sheriff’s spokeswoman Cindy Beavers said.
Phew! Happy endings are rare enough in child abduction. Associated with armed robbery, burglary, suspicion of drug-dealing along the Mexico border?
Terrible odds and a fortunate finish.
The light from an MP3 player saved two lost tourists from a chilly night stuck out in the snowy Swiss mountains.
The two — a skier and snowboarder, both from France — had got lost late in the day Friday outside marked runs near the resort of Savognin in southeast Switzerland, said Gery Baumann, spokesman for mountain rescue service Rega.
They were able to alert authorities using a mobile phone, but it then ran out of battery power, Baumann said.
“The two winter sports enthusiasts were found by the crew of the Rega helicopter shortly after midnight — thanks to the faint light of their MP3 player,” he said.
Whatever saves your buns is worth it. Been there.