Republicans heading for a bloodbath in Florida

The Republican fratricide in the Nov. 3 special election in upstate New York may prove just an opening round of an even more spectacular bloodbath in Florida in 2010.

In New York, Republican feuding lost the party a seat in the House of Representatives. At stake in Florida is not only a senatorship — but very possibly Republican hopes for 2012 as well.

The battle in Florida pits Gov. Charlie Crist against former Speaker of the Florida House Marco Rubio. Both men claim to be conservative, pro-life, tax cutters. On the issues, they would seem to agree far more than they disagree.

But on one issue they have disagreed passionately: President Obama’s fiscal stimulus. Squeezed by his state’s desperate fiscal condition, Crist endorsed and campaigned for the Obama stimulus. Inspired by his conservative ideology, Rubio opposed stimulus.

Now Rubio is the darling of conservatives nationwide. Just this week it was announced that he would give the keynote address at next year’s annual Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington. He has been profiled on the cover of National Review, endorsed by the Club for Growth, and feted by radio talk show hosts.

Crist — who as recently as 2008 topped the libertarian Cato Institute’s list of favorite governors — has been consigned to pariah status…

Daylife/AP Photo used by permission

The final Obama plan granted Florida more than $15 billion over three years. That money averted radical cuts to schools and Medicaid. It saved the state from furloughing employees and raising taxes even higher. It has paid for emergency employment on roads and water projects. It has extended unemployment benefits for 700,000 Floridians — and put an extra $25 per week in their relief packets.

Marco Rubio has fiercely denounced Crist’s support for the Obama stimulus. His campaign ads show images of Crist and Obama side by side and damn the stimulus as “trillions in reckless spending” and a “terrible threat to a fragile economy…”

But Rubio’s message of uncompromising, unremitting opposition to President Obama has won him an enthusiastic following among conservatives nationwide…

A few days ago, I was talking to a roomful of young conservatives about the crisis. All agreed in denouncing both the bank bailouts done under TARP and the stimulus. I asked: OK fine — what was the alternative?

There was a short pause, and then somebody laughed: “I guess it’s lucky that we weren’t in power.”

Cutting off your nose to spite your face is something American right-wing politicians have long embraced as a tactic. This time they may be excising an appendage a bit lower down – below their beltline.

11 thoughts on “Republicans heading for a bloodbath in Florida

1. Mr. Fusion says:

When in or out of power.

2. USWeapon says:

The cartoon ruins it all. The tactic of constantly attempting to paint anyone who opposes what is going on as a racist redneck makes you about as relevant as Jeanine Garofalo. Be better than that. Address the issues and debate the true best path forward rather than playing the partisan games. I hope you will visit my site and participate in the debate.

• Mr. Fusion says:

The cartoon ruins it all.

I thought the cartoon added flavor to the point of the article.

So it is wrong for someone to voice how the “new right wing” comes across but at the same time YOU may denigrate those who oppose. Am I noting a touch of hypocrisy?

BTW, Ms Garofalo is entitled to her opinion as much as you are.

It seems to me the article did address the issues. The problem is you seem to be in denial about what the issues being presented look like to others. The suggestion we Americans may only discuss the “path forward” that agrees with your assessment is as wrong as your criticism. The issues are being raised.

Maybe you disagree, but for too many Americans health insurance IS an issue. The social welfare net IS an issue. the loss of jobs off shore IS an issue. The division of America into a “those people” and “We The People” is an issue.

I hope you will visit my site and participate in the debate.

You already shown your lack of critical thinking skill, why should I waste time visiting merely to confirm that? I enjoy a good discussion from either “side”. I don’t enjoy baseless, irrational arguments that pull crap out of the air as the typical Tea Bagger does.

• USWeapon says:

I agree Garofalo is entitled to her opinion. But I think her spewing hate makes her irrelevant.

As I said, I thought the article was a good one and the image took away from that. Hence the words “ruined it”

“The suggestion we Americans may only discuss the “path forward” that agrees with your assessment is as wrong as your criticism.”

Where did I say any such thing? I said finding a way forward together was the right move. What I said was partisan games will get us nowhere. The cartoon is a partisan game.

If you really want to get things fixed, wouldn’t it seem a better tactic to truly understand the opposition’s opinions instead of implying that they are southern racists?

If you truly think what I posted above shows a lack of critical thinking skills, then you are beyond talking to. I attempted to offer a valid criticism and a friendly invitation to come and debate on a site that has plenty of folks from both sides having respectful conversations about the issues. I thought the article was good and the author would enjoy stimulating conversation.

Sorry that you were too close minded to consider that. I won’t bother asking again.

As for the rest of your comments, the claim of irrational, baseless arguments doesn’t stick when I didn’t make an argument, but instead just an observation. And your final insults of “typical tea bagger” simply makes you the prototype of what is wrong with political debate in this country. You will never be relevant to political debate until you learn to both understand and respect opposing points of view.

Sorry I wasted my time here.

• Cinaedh says:

Visited your racist redneck site and observed the partisan games being played there. Not interesting.

By the way, only a fool will participate in a debate with another fool.

That is all.

• USWeapon says:

That you made that comment on a day when the lead article is one making fun of Cheney and concluding that the Republican party is irrelevant today shows that you did not visit the site or you wouldn’t have made the claim of partisan games.

And you land in the same boat as the commenter above by simply calling someone names because they have a differing opinion. I called no one here a fool, but thanks for the great example of partisan thinking and hatred for opposing viewpoints getting in the way of respectful discourse. It shows that you are interested in being right, not in finding a path forward that actually works.

Stay over here where lack of critical thought and insulting opposing viewpoints is cherished. You wouldn’t fit well on my site anyway.

3. moss says:

When a political party like today’s Republicans serves as the rallying point for racism in America – reviving the Nixon decision he euphemistically called the “Southern Strategy” – it looks to me as if racist redneck cartoons are absolutely in order.

The issues, of course, are addressed on a daily basis at this site.

• USWeapon says:

Perhaps the issues are addressed here daily. I merely made an observation that a good article was ruined for me because of the cartoon.

However, the claim of racism is shallow. Most Republicans are not racists, and the attempts to marginalize them as such do nothing to move the process forward. That claim is an attempt to divide the country as much as any other. Stop watching MSNBC. The only ones pushing the race issue are the left leaning media outlets.

4. USWeapon says:

To the original author of the article. I thought it was well written. I only offered my thoughts because I thought the cartoon took away from some otherwise valid thoughts. I apologize that my visiting your site resulted in such bitter partisan attacks that certainly can’t be what you would want on your site.

Should you decide to come over and debate over there, you will find plenty of folks from your side of the issue, and I would not allow anyone to name call and treat you there the way folks treated me above.

Take care.