Dad started teaching son to be burglar at age 7

COWETA COUNTY, Ga. — Coweta County officials confirmed to Channel 2 Action News that they arrested a man who they believe forced his own 11-year-old child to help him steal items from people’s homes.

Police arrested James “Jamie” Frank Jordan III, 38, of Moreland and charged him with 15 counts of burglary, four felony thefts, four counts of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, 15 counts of cruelty to children and one count of cruelty to animals.

Coweta County sheriff’s investigators said Jordan had forced his now-11-year-old child to participate in burglaries for the past four years. Officials said the child was not receiving any formal education.

Authorities said some of the stolen items they recovered included firearms, jewelry, tools, boots, knives, decorative items for the house and live animals – such as peacocks, chickens and dogs.

Peacocks?

School: Little army men on patriotic hat pose weapons risk


Superintendent: “…find an alternative to a weapon.”

Christan Morales said her son just wanted to honor American troops when he wore a hat to school decorated with an American flag and small plastic Army figures.

But the school banned the hat because it ran afoul of the district’s zero-tolerance weapons policy. Why? The toy soldiers were carrying tiny guns…

Morales’ 8-year-old son, David, had been assigned to make a hat for the day when his second-grade class would meet their pen pals from another school. She and her son came up with an idea to add patriotic decorations to a camouflage hat.

“Nothing was being done to limit patriotism, creativity, other than find an alternative to a weapon,” [Superintendent Kenneth R. Di Pietro] said.

[Retired commander of the Rhode Island National Guard] Lt. Gen. Reginald Centracchio said he disagreed with the decision to ban the hat…

“The American soldier is armed. That’s why they’re called the armed forces,” he said. “If you’re going to portray it any other way, you miss the point.”

I remember as a kid buying little green army men by the bagfull. I guess that would be considered stashing weapons nowadays.

Let’s face it. Americans don’t get fed up with anything any more.

Uh-oh! SpaghettiOs

Campbell Soup Co. is recalling 15 million pounds of SpaghettiOs with meatballs after a cooker malfunctioned at one of the company’s plants in Texas and left the meat undercooked.

The Agriculture Department announced the recall…Campbell spokesman Anthony Sanzio said the company is recalling certain lots of the product manufactured since December 2008 “out of an abundance of caution” because officials don’t know exactly when the cooker at the Paris, Texas, plant malfunctioned. Officials believe it happened recently but aren’t sure, he said…

Recalled are certain lots of three varieties of the pasta product often consumed by children: SpaghettiOs with Meatballs, SpaghettiOs A to Z with Meatballs, and SpaghettiOs Fun Shapes with Meatballs (Cars)…

The recalled products have “EST 4K,” as well as a use-by date between June 2010 and December 2011 printed on the bottom of the can. The products were manufactured between December 2008 and June 2010 and distributed to retail establishments nationwide.

If you’re dull enough to actually keep a foodstuff as mediocre as SpaghettiOs in your pantry – you can call Campbell’s Hotline at (866) 495-3774 for information on the recall.

Poisonally, I think you should have your head examined.

South Korea repels North Korean invasion – which turns out to be kindergarten balloons

Balloons released into the sky by a kindergarten in South Korea sparked a security alert when the country’s military mistook the formation for parachuting North Koreans.

Amid growing military tensions between the North and South, Seoul mobilised troops and police early on Thursday after a resident of Ansan, 22 miles south-west of the South Korean capital, reported that 40 to 50 flying objects resembling parachutes had fallen on a mountain the previous night.

Upon inspection, the objects were identified as helium balloons released by children at a nearby school.

State inspectors have strongly criticised military chiefs for their inadequate response to the sinking of a warship near the disputed sea border on March 26, with the loss of 46 lives.

The inspectors recommended that 13 generals, 10 lower-level officers and two civilian defence ministry officials be punished. The country’s top military officer Lee Sang-Eui offered his resignation.

Fear-based politics brings predictable results. Homeland security is defined by paranoid balderdash.

Let’s all cower and tremble – then rush about madly brandishing weapons of mass dementia – protecting our brave nation from school children at play.

FDA panel recommends approval of contraceptive after-sex pill

A federal advisory panel has voted unanimously that federal drug regulators should approve a medicine that could help prevent pregnancy if taken as late as five days after unprotected sex.

The pill, called ella, sprang from government labs and appears to be more effective than Plan B, a morning-after pill now available over the counter to women 18 and older that gradually loses efficacy after intercourse and can be taken at latest three days after sex. Ella, by contrast, works just as well on the fifth day as the first after sex…

The F.D.A. usually follows the advice of its advisory panels but not always.

There is a dispute is whether the drug works by delaying ovulation (as the pill’s manufacturer claims) or by preventing a fertilized egg from implanting itself in the uterus (as anti-abortion advocates say)…

Neither of which should have a damned thing to do with approval on medical and scientific grounds. Which is all the FDA should be considering.

Even though ella is somewhat more effective and can be taken later than Plan B, the new drug would, if approved, probably do little to solve this epidemic of unplanned pregnancies. Plan B has been available without a prescription since 2006 for women 18 and older, but abortion and unintended-pregnancy rates have remained largely unchanged.

Women who have unprotected sex have about one chance in 20 of becoming pregnant. Those who take Plan B within three days cut that risk to about one chance in 40, and if ella is approved, that risk would be cut further to about one chance in 50…

American mutant religious nut balls will rant and tear their hair over women having another choice, an additional means of controlling whether or not they become pregnant.

Separation of state and church means nothing to True Believers. Their diminutive lives are governed by ideological dross from the Dark Ages. They see nothing wrong with imposing their foolishness on everyone else.

A simple scientific task will now have to trudge through the folkways of Congressional opportunism and hypocrisy. If you’re one of our U.S. Readers, consider contacting your Congress-critter and tell ’em to support reason over ignorance. If you think they’re capable, of course.

Mortgage fraud crackdown goes public

Federal prosecutors have charged 1,215 people in hundreds of mortgage fraud cases that resulted in estimated losses of $2.3 billion, said administration officials unveiling a crackdown after the housing market collapse…

In the last three-and-a-half months, authorities have made 485 arrests in the fraud cases, obtained 336 individual convictions and recovered more than $147 million, the Justice Department said.

“We have seen cases that have resulted in dozens of foreclosures and millions in losses, as well as fraudsters who have bankrupted entire companies and national lenders who were not playing by the rules,” Attorney General Eric H. Holder said.

The announcement came a day after prosecutors accused the former head of a defunct mortgage lender, Lee Farkas, of a scheme that led to multibillion-dollar losses.

Robert S. Mueller III, the F.B.I. director, said that authorities were pursuing more than 3,000 mortgage fraud cases, a number that has nearly doubled since 2008.

You didn’t seriously think the politicians who removed oversight and regulation were going to be prosecuting the fraudsters they unleashed, did you? That required – ready for the word? – CHANGE.

Throw away the key!

Tries twice for Darwin Award – and fails


He rode inside one of these instead of underneath

A South African man is still alive despite shooting himself in the head and then being hit by a lorry.

The man, from Newcastle, KwaZulu-Natal, was in a car when he shot himself, an emergency worker told the BBC.

The bullet got lodged in his skull without hitting his brain. He then got out of the car to seek help and was hit by a heavy lorry…

He is now being treated in a Durban hospital.

The man, who has not been named, was in a critical but stable condition, spokesman for the Netcare private emergency service Jeffrey Wicks said.

“I have never seen anything like this before in my career.”

If at first you don’t succeed…