The night shift at a Chivas Brothers distillery screwed up this week and accidentally flushed about 6,000 gallons of Scotch whisky down the drain…
The 80-proof goof happened early Tuesday at a bottling plant in Dumbarton, where workers were cleaning equipment. Instead of purging the wastewater, they instead expelled 18,000 liters of bulk whisky into the local sewage system…
No one at Chivas noticed until 11 a.m., but local sewage crews had gotten a good whiff of the scotch-and-water problem and were attempting to identify the source long before the distiller reported what had happened.
“Discharging large volumes of alcohol into the sewer network can have an adverse impact on wastewater treatment processes, particularly during dry, cold weather,” Scottish Water said in a statement, the BBC reported. “We are continuing to closely monitor our Dumbarton wastewater treatment works to ensure treatment has not been compromised…”
The company said it was investigating.
Someone managed to pull off a double OOPS! They flushed $750,000 worth of decent booze down the drain – and probably poisoned a chunk of the sewer treatment plant, as well.