A British family said they had to abandon their home for three days when hundreds of baby spiders hatched from a bunch of bananas.
Jamie Roberts of Staffordshire, England, said he initially thought the bananas he purchased from his local One Stop store had mold on them, but he soon discovered the white spots were not mold when hundreds of baby spiders started crawling out, the Independent reported Tuesday.
“It was like something out of a horror film because suddenly the window sill was moving with hundreds of these spiders,” Roberts said.
Roberts, who suffers from arachnophobia, the fear of spiders, said he, his wife and their two children were put up in a hotel for three days by One Stop, which also paid for a pest control company to fill the home with toxic fumes to take care of the spiders.
The spiders were too young for the pest control workers to accurately identify, but Roberts and his wife said they are concerned the creatures could have been Brazilian wandering spiders, a species believed to have been involved in a similar incident last November.
Brazilian wandering spiders are listed by Guinness World Records as the world’s most venomous spiders.