Embassy bureaucrats refused to test staff exposed to coronavirus

The Daily Beast has learned that the (US embassy in Tokyo) exposed at least five employees to fully virulent coronavirus sufferers from the cruise ship Diamond Princess last month, and when they all asked to be tested, the U.S Embassy Tokyo Deputy Consul General Timothy G. Smith not only refused to do so unless they exhibited symptoms, he strongly discouraged them from getting outside testing.

Given mounting evidence that the disease can be transmitted by people with few or no symptoms, that would seem to be the height of folly. But in the mire of bureaucratic and political stubbornness, great plagues can grow.

…Questions about this issue, when put to the embassy, were kicked to the State Department in Washington, which gave this response on Monday:

“Throughout this crisis, we have continuously worked hard to ensure the safety of our staff, including through training and the provision of appropriate personal protective equipment by U.S. Government medical professionals. All health and safety protocols have been strictly followed.”…

From such vague responses to specific questions it‘s clear that, as our reporting shows, actual testing for infection is not part of the program–unless there are symptoms…

Is it a coverup, a fuckup, a compromise or just the way things are? Hard to say, but the Tokyo embassy scandal raises questions the entire United States and its public servants will be facing soon…

RTFA for details and more. I’d suggest you query your elected officials, maybe even try getting straight answers from the Trumplets in Washington, DC.. If we don’t raise a stink out here – the smell from the government is only going to get worse.

One thought on “Embassy bureaucrats refused to test staff exposed to coronavirus

  1. Update says:

    “Coronavirus Mutation Confirmed: Scientists Found Two Types Of COVID-19 Infecting World” https://www.ibtimes.com/coronavirus-mutation-confirmed-scientists-found-two-types-covid-19-infecting-world-2934239
    “A new but preliminary study published in the National Science Review, the journal of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, said the more virulent of these two strains struck first, which explains the rapid transmissibility of the disease and its unnaturally high mortality rate during the first weeks of the COVID-19 outbreak in China. This more virulent strain exists alongside its less harmful cousin. The study identified these two strains as type L (the more virulent) and type S.
    The study, “On the origin and continuing evolution of SARS-CoV-2,” cautioned the data it analyzed was still “very limited.” It was conducted by scientists at Peking University’s School of Life Sciences and the Institut Pasteur of Shanghai.
    The study found the more aggressive type of SARS-CoV-2 accounted for roughly 70% of analyzed strains. On the other hand, 30% had been linked to a less aggressive type. The frequency of the more aggressive strain has decreased from early January, however.”

    “On the origin and continuing evolution of SARS-CoV-2” (March 3, 2020) https://academic.oup.com/nsr/advance-article/doi/10.1093/nsr/nwaa036/5775463?searchresult=1

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.