Watch out for nomadic extra-terrestrials

Hawking’s earliest astrophysics work posited the existence of singularities, mathematically conforming black holes with Albert Einstein’s general theory of relativity…An atheist, anti-war activist, BDS supporter and anti-capitalist, the overlap between Hawking’s humanist politics and scientific interests found expression in his repeated public statements on the possibility of contact with extraterrestrial life.

Hawking took a conflicted position on alien life, at once promoting the search for extraterrestrial life and warning about the potential dangers of first contact with an alien species. His position on extraterrestrial life advocates two approaches: collecting intel and keeping as quiet as possible.

In 2010, Hawking worried what that answer would bring, describing the dangers of first contact with aliens in a Discovery Channel documentary. “If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn’t turn out well for the Native Americans,” Hawking says. “We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet.”

It could be worse than perpetual Trumpism.

19 thoughts on “Watch out for nomadic extra-terrestrials

1. Marlapaige says:

First off, I must say I loved that goofy movie (in reference to your alien picture).

Second, if you haven’t seen it, I recommend watching an episode of the old Twilight Zone called “To Serve Man.”

It speaks both to extraterrestrials and Politics if viewed properly.

• Marlapaige says:

Ah, so you know what I’m talking about. It’s funny, there are many people who I’ve spoken to who know nothing of the old TZ’s and only of the really REALLY bad remakes. What’s worse, is they’re people my age and I cringe because how can you not know? But it was a teeny bit before my time, so I guess I can understand. I’m just an old soul. I didn’t know there was a short story first. I can see how that was exciting to know it was going to be made into an episode of a great show. I don’t know where he got a lot of his ideas, but I assume most of them were short stories first. But I’m not sure. It’s really cool to know that one was.

Only talking about calendars. Folks figure my attitudes on politics and society are pretty much as radical, disturbing to those who wallow in the comfortable middle or right, as they were [generally] when I headed off to my first sit-in in 1960.

My brain still mostly thinks I’m younger than that. The only problem with the whole question is most of my peers from BITD – in fact, like my extended family – ain’t around anymore.

• Marlapaige says:

You are slightly older than me. I would never have guessed, your writing is full of vibrancy, and most people are convinced that after 80 your brain just stops. Actually my aunt who is 80 is convinced that everyone her age has let their mind just go. I guess some do, but not everyone, and I tend to meet the exceptions to the “rule”.

It’s really awesome that you referenced Mars Attacks though… my aunt would swallow her tongue before she’d watch “crap like that” 😂🤣

My love of sci-fi started when I was walking to elementary school – maybe around 6th grade – maybe a bit later. Going past Mr. Freeman’s drugstore, I saw copies of AMAZING STORIES and THRILLING WONDER STORIES in his latest window display. He wasn’t a fan; but, he figured the BEM (one of the oldest sci-fi abbreviations) covers might get some traffic. They got me.

Whoops! Time to leap in the shower before the 2 hours I allocate to evening TViewing.

• Marlapaige says:

I know what a BEM is. When they created Doctor Who they wanted to make sure that it wasn’t going to be weekly BEMs because BBC hated the idea.

2. Asimov Cascade says:

NASA Is Quietly Funding a Hunt for Alien Megastructures https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkbq7z/nasa-is-quietly-funding-a-hunt-for-alien-megastructures
    Detecting ‘technosignatures’ such as hypothetical Dyson spheres in space could lead us to extraterrestrial life, and now NASA is funding the search.

There is something strange happening around Boyajian’s star. https://www.supercluster.com/editorial/nasa-is-supporting-the-search-for-alien-megastructures