Fools learned it’s easy to turn a semi-automatic weapon into a machine gun

The number of shootings involving automatic weapons in the US has skyrocketed in recent years, suggesting a troubling resurgence in the use of machine guns by criminals, according to an analysis provided exclusively to CNN.

Incidents of machine gun fire have exploded by about 1,400% from 2019 through last year, according to statistics compiled by a gunfire detection company that has acoustic sensors placed in about 130 US cities. Last year alone, ShotSpotter, Inc. detected roughly 5,600 incidents of automatic weapons fire, the analysis showed.

The previously unreported figures add to growing evidence that the widespread availability of inexpensive so-called conversion devices — known as “auto switches” or “auto sears” — capable of transforming semi-automatic weapons into machine guns in a matter of moments are wreaking havoc on American streets.

There has been a corresponding spike in seizures of conversion devices by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in recent years, from fewer than 100 in 2017 to more than 1,500 last year…

Gun laws virtually eliminated automatic weapons from city streets for decades, Chittum said. “But now machine guns are back, and they’re everywhere.”

You might try enforcing gun laws. I realize that’s a simple answer. Truth is often simple.

What is there to say? I not only learned how to do this in the 1950’s…I did so more than once. It was fun. It was exciting. For many of the reasons you might imagine.

After I made a few, I stopped. I don’t know if the dude who showed me how kept at it or not. I didn’t want to know. I didn’t want to be a possible co-defendant. I didn’t want to be a defendant, either.

The fines were serious. The time in the slammer was serious time. We knew the local coppers could and would bust us…and put us away. We saw it happen to other silly young dudes. More criminal-minded than we ever could be.

That’s all it would take, today, I believe. Enforcing the laws. Further discussion may be needed about why it ain’t so. That isn’t why I posted this. Just saying.

8 thoughts on “Fools learned it’s easy to turn a semi-automatic weapon into a machine gun

1. moss says:

Start arresting folks by the truckload for illegal possession – big fines – jail time! All the stuff that’s been on the books for years. Zoom! 99% of this crap disappears. That’s what the rules were designed to do. Only negative affects the politicians who lose their spiff from manufacturers.

2. Robert says:

If we’re talking about gang violence or raw killers as in the Las Vegas shooter, we’re talking about people outside the law. Jail time means nothing to them, means a lot to me and to many of the readers of this blog, but honestly if you feel you live outside of normal society and your credibility is based on your ruthlessness, laws don’t matter. I think it’s more important to take the tools away. The first gun I ever bought for myself was an Italian made black powder replica of an 1864 Army faux Remington. I got it through the mail in New Jersey which even at the time had very strict laws about owning handguns. But I could buy powder and balls. I never killed anybody or built anything that killed anybody, just saying there are ways to limit the lethalitiy without taking all the guns away.

Apologies, if I wasn’t clear about the laws I find apt, useful — and don’t. I doubt I ever would support any total ban on handguns, long guns, shotguns. At the moment, I own at least 3. It’s that casual. A shotgun, 2 handguns. I may even have a .22 rifle somewhere in a closet because I recall moving one with me to the Navajo Nation decades ago. No use for it, nowadays. I may have sold it.

• Robert says:

I meant no offense. What I feel I understand is the difference between lawful operators and those that have no respect for the law. Many of these tools are designed for nefarious purposes. But I can tell you If I modified a gun to be close to automatic, it’s only for the coolness of spraying bullets at a giant wall of sand. I just think we’re different people. I’ve not modified my Marlin .30-.30 that my grandad gave me, and I love my winchester ranger because it’s so light. Just trying to express there’s a difference between lawful gun owners and those who really don’t care.

3. Robert says:

and also btw I wasn’t saying you are one of the nefarious ones, I’ve followed you for years, probly since 2010 or 2012, I realize I wrote that clumsily.

Clumsy is MY specialty, Robert. Frankly, it’s more than nice to see a comment from one of the folks I’m trying to talk to. And though it’s been true all my life…nefarious is just too much work for an Ancient RED like me.

Boy, do I understand the differences. All the gun people in my family … best role model being my Uncle Al who was chief prototyper for Remington Arms … did lots of giveaway design work for them because he was just happy getting to be a great gunsmith. OTOH, the guy who led me through modifying a sear to convert semi to full auto was always looking for sleazy buck$. Ended badly after lots of criminal decades which BTW never produced the greens he wanted. I walked away from him in my 20’s which was tough – then – because he had close ties to other members of my family who I loved.

So, thank you for your commentary. I appreciate thoughtulness.

• Robert says:

I appreciate your thoughtfulness as well, as I have since being introduced to your blog. I’m pretty sure even though I’m from the east and my heritage is mostly southern there are experiences we’ve had that are similar. Although I’ve not had any experience with the Native Peoples except via podcast. But I know quite a bit about being treated as second class.