A terrifying deadly flesh-eating bacteria that lives in the warm waters off the coast of Florida has killed two people and infected seven so far this year.
Vibrio vulnificus is found naturally in warm marine waters and it poses a grave risk to beachgoers and consumers of shellfish that they may not be even aware of. A total of 32 cases of the bacteria were reported in 2014 in Florida, with about 85 percent of the infections happening during the summer months and into the fall when beaches become packed, according to statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as reported by Fox News.
Eating raw shellfish is the most common way to contract the bacteria, according to Florida Health Department spokeswoman Mara Burger in a statement. If you ingest the bacteria, you will experience vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. If you suspect you have it, get treatment immediately because it can result in death…
The best way to avoid getting it is to avoid raw shellfish and to thoroughly cook any shellfish you intend to consume, and eat it quickly after consuming it. Also, be careful to avoid cross-contamination of raw shellfish with cooked foods.
But that’s not the only way the bacteria can get in your bloodstream. If you are swimming and you get a puncture wound from a stingray or tilapia, the bacteria can make its way into your bloodstream, which can be very serious and may require amputation.
So, enjoy summertime in Florida.