Rocketman … in the dorm kitchen


Explosion damage (L) and subsequent flooding (R)
Brigham Young University Police

Authorities at Utah’s Brigham Young University said 22 college students had to be relocated after someone attempted to make rocket fuel on the stove in their dorm, which led to a “fireball” explosion…

Firefighters first responded to the incident around 4:30 p.m. local time on Sunday at BYU’s Heritage Halls Building 4. Crews found the fire sprinklers activated and flooding on the main floor.

“The subsequent investigation revealed that a resident had been making homemade rocket fuel on the stove when the volatile mixture suddenly exploded into a fireball,” BYU police said in a Facebook post. “The flames from the explosion had engulfed the walls and ceiling around the stove and the intense heat tripped the fire sprinkler system.”…

Firefighters quickly secured the scene and were able to put out the remnants from the fire, police said. However, the explosion resulted in “extensive damage” to the dorm building.

Enquiring minds want to know…